09 May A brand new entry in the official list of IB World Schools: La Scuola d’Italia Guglielmo Marconi!
I am delighted to announce that La Scuola’s application for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program has been approved [LINK TO APPROVAL LETTER]. Our acceptance into the program is an accomplishment made possible by the collaborative participation of the Liceo faculty, parents, and students. I would like to offer special thanks to the IB Program Coordinator, Beatrice Paladini, who guided our work leading to accreditation, as well as to the Board of Trustees, who provided active and consistent support.
With this terrific news, our current 10th graders will be the first class eligible to participate in the program, starting in September 2018. Being an IB school will be another advantage for our students. Recognized and respected by the world’s leading universities, the IB Diploma Program provides students with a balanced education that facilitates geographic and cultural mobility, while promoting international understanding.
Participating students will continue to take classes as part of the Liceo’s curriculum, with six of those courses also being recognized as IB classes. Students will take IB exams in May of their senior year to earn an IB Diploma in addition to their Esami di Stato.
We began our work with the “International Baccalaureate Organization” (IBO) to be approved for the IB Diploma program three years ago. Our goal was to further enhance the already strong educational offerings of our school. As a result, our high-caliber, college-bound candidates will pursue a challenging, internationally-recognized Diploma that has the potential to provide a competitive edge in areas such as admission, placement, college credit, and scholarships.
Our efforts, which adhered to a strict timeline set by the “IB Diploma Program Authorization Process,” included:
- Completed and submitted “Application for Candidacy for the IB Diploma Program” on April 27, 2016
- Officially recognized by the IBO as an “IB Candidate School for the Diploma Program” as of September 1, 2016
- Worked with a consultant sent by the IBO to oversee preparations for the “Application for Authorization for the IB Diploma Program” from November 2016 to March 2017
- Sent all Upper School – Liceo Division faculty to “IB Diploma Program Category 1 subject-specific training workshops” during the 2016-2017 school year in preparation for IB Authorization
- Completed and submitted “Application for Authorization for the IB Diploma Program” on June 1, 2017
- Beefed up the Science Lab laboratory with over $16K worth of brand new Vernier equipment for both Physics and Chemistry
- Underwent a rigorous review of both our structural and academic preparedness, culminating in an “IB Verification Visit” in December 2017 conducted by an official team that included the IB Head of Authorization for the Americas
- As requested by the IBO, proceeded with a safety upgrade of the existing Science Lab in March 2018
- Officially recognized by the IBO as an “IB World School offering the Diploma Program” on May 1, 2018
Specific information about the implementation of the IB Diploma Program at La Scuola will be provided before the end of the school year. For now, please simply join me in celebrating the great news!
Maria Palandra, Ph.D.
Head of School