(Pre-k3/4 and Kindergarten)
La Scuola’s Preschool (Pre-k3/4 and Kindergarten) curriculum builds on a child’s innate curiosity and unique personality to further their intellectual, emotional, social and physical development.
La Scuola d’Italia’s follows an Italian/English bilingual curriculum called the Five Fields of Experience or Campi di Esperienza, inspired and guided by the Reggio Emilia Approach to early education.
The Five Fields of Experience are considered pre-disciplinary educational areas that frame the child’s learning:
- Oneself and the other – Il sé e l’altro, area of communication, personal identity, and socialization;
- Body in motion – Il corpo in movimento, area of movement and knowledge;
- Languages and creativity – Immagini, suoni, colori, area of languages and creativity: music, art, drama, multimedia expression;
- Verbal language and words – I discorsi e le parole, area of oral communication, conversation and words;
- Natural knowledge of the world: order, measure, space, time, nature – Conoscenza del mondo: ordine, misura, spazio, tempo, area of logical skills, problem solving, and of space/time/nature awareness.
In our immersive bilingual preschool, children acquire the ability to understand and communicate in two languages – Italian and English – laying the foundation for greater cognitive function and emotional strength. The learning of a new language is spontaneous since is related to the children’s everyday experiences. Preschoolers experience and acquire the languages through a variety of activities including drama, art, music, science, and psychomotor projects that infuse learning and play.
Many children do not speak English or Italian upon entering preschool. Native Italian and American teachers work collaboratively to expose students to the culture and language of both countries. Classes are intentionally small to provide students with individualized attention in a warm and caring environment.
La Scuola has partnered with Carousel of Languages to introduce French language starting in Pre-k 3. French continues through elementary and high school as a third modern language.
You might also be interested in special programs offered by our bilingual school.