La Scuola’s community is built on a set of shared values and sustained through continued engagement and collaboration. In addition to the many curricular and co-curricular activities posted on our Calendar and highlighted in our News, the Parents Association helps organize events that keep us engaged with our local and international communities.
Recent community initiatives:
- Volunteering at the NY Common Pantry, serving meals to underprivileged local families;
- During One Great Hour of Sharing, La Scuola students spent 3 weeks learning about developing nations and raising $1,724 for victims of the recent Italian Earthquakes;
- Thirty-eight La Scuola students participated in the Ronald McDonald House Charity Fun Run to raise money for sick children and their families—Matteo Charles, (PreK-A) and Stefano Sullo, (7th grade) both came in first in their races!;
- La Scuola raised $4,500 for the “Men in Blue”—formerly homeless or incarcerated men working to achieve self sufficiency through the Holiday Cookie Drive with The Doe Fund; and
- La Scuola students and families raked and bagged what seemed like a million leaves for the Riverside Park Conservancy. All leaves were added to a compost pile and turned into valuable mulch for use throughout the park.